1. “Mississippi Governor Signs Bill to Rebuild Gulf Casinos on Land,” New York Times, October 18, 2005.
2. “Surging Seas: Sea Level Rise Analysis by Climate Central,” Climate Control, accessed April 30, 2014, http://sealevel.climatecentral.org. See also Andrew L. Jones and Michael R. Phillips, Disappearing Destinations: Climate Change and Future Challenges for Coastal Tourism (Cambridge, UK: CABI, 2011).
3. Bruce Schulman, From Cotton Belt to Sunbelt: Federal Policy, Economic Development, and the Transformation of the South, 1938–1980 (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1994).
4. Orrin H. Pilkey, The Corps and the Shore (Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 1996).
5. See Matthew D. Lassiter, The Silent Majority: Suburban Politics in the Sunbelt South (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2006).
6. Rose C. Falls, Cheniere Caminada, or, The Wind of Death: The Story of the Storm in Louisiana (New Orleans, 1893).